Hey Healthy Panthers!
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No, it’s H2O to the rescue!
H2O, or more commonly known as water, has been saving lives ever since before the water bottle was invented. With your body being composed of 70% water and your brain containing 90% water, it is the most essential liquid to consume.
Most of water’s good deeds are taken for granted, but I will name a few to put its many daily accomplishments into perspective.
- Water fights the toxins in your body by flushing out impurities through sweat and urine. By doing this, it takes the harmful chemicals that your body retains through food and kicks them out of your system for good! Without the impurities, you don’t have to worry about risks like kidney stones and urinary tract infections. Thank you water!
- Water maintains and oversees your body’s regularity by aiding in digestion and preventing constipation.
- Because your brain is made up of 90% water, H2O saves your body from fatigue by helping you concentrate and keeping you more alert. Take that Bio Lab!
- Water protects your skin complexion by moisturizing it and keeping it soft and smooth.
- H20 rescues your body from headaches and muscle cramps by preventing dehydration and lubricating your muscles. By lubricating your muscles, water makes sure your muscle fibers stay elastic and flexible so they do not strain during physical activities.
Although it may have no flavor, water should always be your primary drinking source. The advantages of sports drinks do not compare to the perks unconditionally provided by water. Sure you might feel a short burst of energy from the electrolytes in Gatorade or caffeine from Coca-Cola, but that energy is quickly used up and your body is left with an unwanted blood sugar spike (here’s a link to my post that talks about spikes in blood sugar https://tayscavo.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/carbs-the-good-and-the-bad//).
Now for us Panthers, water is very easy to call upon when we are thirsty! There are drinking fountains conveniently located on every floor of each building. I have also noticed that some fountains have a designated platform to rest your canteen or water bottle as you fill up. With these privileges at your fingertips, it is easy to allow water to quench your thirst instead of paying money to stand in line and order a soft drink.
Water is available to combat your body’s toxins and to contribute to your well-being like no other liquid.
In the end, H20 can save your day!